The BEST Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies in the WORLD
One of the many sentences that vegans hear is, “But there are so many things you cannot eat!” People think that vegans are missing out on so many delicious foods, as illustrated by the other common phrase, “I could never be vegan because I can’t give up ____.” This blank could be In-N-Out hamburgers, California burritos, cheese, eggs, or desserts. However, rather than completely eliminating all these goodies from our diet, vegans simply replace them. We swap hamburgers for Beyond Meat Burgers, California burritos for veggie burritos, cheese for almond ricotta, eggs for Just Eggs, and desserts for more vegan desserts than your heart could imagine. If you’re like me and have a major hankering for sweets, don’t you fret: vegans can still have dessert. Yes, you heard it right. Vegans don’t eat solely fruits and veggies (but I’m not going to lie there are a lot of those involved as well). We may not be able to stuff every store bought cookie sight into our mouths, but there are still options, and you bet they’re T A S T Y.
My favorite dessert are these chocolate chip cookies—a classic. After scouring Google and trying countless recipes, I have found the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe in the world. This recipe is from Baker by Nature and she calls them “the most wonderful vegan chocolate chip cookies ever.” These ooey-gooey babies live up to the hype and are delicious and will most definitely satisfy your sweet tooth.
- ½ cup of coconut oil (make sure it isn’t melted at all)
- 1 & ¼ cup of packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of coconut milk (or any milk alternative will do!)
- ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 & ¼ cups of all-purpose flour (not packed)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of vegan chocolate chips (try the Trader Joe’s brand)
- (flaky sea salt is optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut oil and coconut oil.
- Fold in the vegan chocolate chips and now you have the perfect chocolate chip cookie dough. If your dough feels too sticky, add a bit more flour. If your dough feels too firm, add a bit more coconut milk. Plus the best part about baking vegan chocolate chip cookies is that you can eat as much cookie dough as your heart desires because there is no raw egg.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes.
- Resist the temptation to take a bite and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
These cookies are gooey and chewy and taste like the real thing. I know if you have vegan friends you are probably always hearing “you can’t taste the difference,” but with these you really can’t. Vegan chocolate, after all, is still chocolate. Pro tip- most dark chocolate is vegan!I love making these for friends or families and waiting until after they compliment them to disclose the secret—they’re vegan.
Being vegan doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the sweet things in life; you simply have to find replacements that work for you. Desserts can be easy too! Just swap eggs for applesauce or a flax egg, and milk for a dairy-free alternative. Be creative and be bold enough to try new things. You can have your cake and eat it too! Try these delicious vegan chocolate chip cookies and I swear you won’t regret it!