Sustainable Family Living at University Village
Nature Village is a multidisciplinary group of University Village volunteers and campus sustainability organizations furthering sustainability at UC Berkeley’s family housing complex, University Village. Nature Village grows, supports, and inspires sustainable living by:
- Promoting sustainable living through education and outreach.
- Increasing awareness of environmental protection, energy conservation, zero waste, and carbon neutrality.
- Providing guidance and resources on sustainable living best practices.
- Creating a unique green living environment that is suitable to University Village’s multicultural community.
- Collaborating with campus groups and departments to implement new operations, programs, and initiatives that realize sustainability metrics.
Nature Village began as a 2012 TGIF funded project and was transitioned to SERC’s portfolio as an ongoing initiative beginning fall 2014.
Make a difference in the university village, join our team and help –
- Promoting sustainable living practices
- Providing environmental awareness
- Making positive environmental impact
- Building a better community
Our current year events –
Book Donation Drive:
Nature Village is accepting books donations till end of August 2017. Your donation will not only help those who are in need of books but also reduce environmental footprint. If you have books that you want to get rid of, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Green Flag Project:
Nature Village organized a Learn-n-Draw workshop for the kids at the “Kids In Creek” Summer camp at the university village. In this session, the Nature village volunteers educated the kids regarding Waste Reduction, Recycling, Composting, Saving Water and Energy. Each kid then created a flag to take back home, showcasing their ideas to save our Earth. A fun-filled learning experience
Thanks to the UC Village Garden committee, Nature Village has a plot (#200) in the garden to be served as a community area. The plot best serves as a resting area for the gardeners and the accompanying children since it is very well shaded with a spreading tree. Nature village will be participating in every month work parties going forward with the garden committee to maintain the pathways, clear the weeds and add mulch in areas decided by the garden committee.
Our previous years events –
The Nature Village Team, in partnership with campus and student staff from SERC, Cal Zero Waste, and RSSP, have completed many projects and events since Nature Village’s founding in 2012. Examples include:
- End the Cycle Laundry Project: distributes drying racks to residents and put water & energy conservation stickers on all the Village’s washers and dryers
- The Water Project: installs low-flow shower valves and water conservation decals in Village apartments
- The Waste Management Project:
- e-waste recycling at the University Village Office
- provided individual and large-scale composting across the Village
- updated the trash/recycling enclosures and added new signage
- The Bike Project:
- resident bike rides led by Nature Village volunteers
- added a bike fix-it station
- hosted educational bike events at the Village
- 2016: new bike share program
- Nature Sundays: monthly sustainability education events at the Village
- Move-In/Move-Out Guide developed
- Yard Sales, Eco Movie Nights, Village Festival
- Green Family Ambassador Program
- Nature Village launched a partnership with Imperfect Produce to sell Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) boxes to University Village residents and address food insecurity and food waste issues. Imperfect produce is produce that are usually disposed of because of their appearance. These CSA boxes are sold for $12 each and feed a household of 3-4 people for a week.