The SERC Decal Fellowship awards $200 budgets to DeCals covering topics of sustainability and environmentalism.
The Student Environmental Resource Center (SERC) at UC Berkeley strives to sponsor a network of well-designed and skillfully-facilitated DeCals focused on sustainability and the environment. The SERC DeCal Fellowship supports students achieving SERC’s vision of “Sustainability education for every UC Berkeley student.”
Four Decals will be selected for the fellowship by fulfilling the following criteria:
- Committing to and demonstrating the attendance of DeCal facilitators to two 90-minute fellowship workshops throughout the semester to discuss facilitation tactics with other fellows. The workshops dates will be arranged in accordance with fellows’ schedules and absences can be made up.
- Answering the following application questions.
- Conducting mid- and end-of-semester DeCal evaluations created in consultation with the SERC Education Associate.
- Providing a syllabus and course proposal packet demonstrating sustainability as a primary learning outcome.
- After acceptance to the SERC DeCal Fellowship, editing your Decal page to include a mention of SERC sponsorship.
Applications have closed this semester. January 2019, applications will open for Spring 2019
SERC’s new Greener DeCal Fund
The Greener DeCal Fund supports non-environment and sustainability related decals to integrate sustainability into their curriculum.The Greener DeCal Fund serves to achieveSERC’s vision of “Sustainability education for every UC Berkeley student.”
The DeCal chosen will receive a $200 budget, access to our speaker database, and will work closely with the SERC Academic and Professional Development (A&PD) Associate to design a class where topics of environmentalism and sustainability are tailored to the course content. SERC will provide the necessary tools and materials to ensure that the class designed presents sustainability and environmentalism in a way that is relevant and applicable to the area of focus in which the chosen decal pertains to.
The DeCal will be selected for the fellowship by fulfilling the following criteria:
-Committing to and attending an orientation meeting, and two follow-up meetings with the A&PD Associate. The workshops dates will be arranged in accordance with fellows’ schedules and absences can be made up.
-Providing a syllabus and course proposal packet
-Demonstrating interest for sustainability and environmentalism.
-Conducting mid- and end-of-semester DeCal evaluations created in consultation with the SERC A&PD Associate.
Note: Classroom funds are by default disbursed by reimbursement; alternative funding methods can be arranged on a case-by-case basis. Funds cannot be used for gift certificates or other gifts. Funds can be used for course supplies and food, field trip transportation costs, and guest speaker fees.
Congratulations to the 2018 Spring Fellows!
- Latinx and the Environment
- Seminar in Ecological Economies
- Greener DeCal: Natural Pigments in the Industrial World