Join the 2015 Earth Week Planning Committee!
The Student Environmental Resource Center is starting to organize planning efforts for Earth Week 2015!
Please sign up on this form if you are interested in helping to plan the week’s events and activities.
Meetings will be held weekly on Tuesdays from 12pm-1pm in Hearst Gym 114. Drop-ins are welcome and it is okay if you cannot make every meeting! Those who sign-up will be added to the Earth Week 2015 Planning Committee communication list. The first meeting will be Tuesday, January 27th at 12pm.
Last’s year Earth Week was successful because of UC Berkeley’s student efforts. Let’s keep that spirit alive for 2015!
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us for UC Berkeley Food Month October 1-31, 2014, when SERC will collaborate with Berkeley Food Institute, Cal Dining, and University Health Services to spotlight food sustainability, waste, justice, labor, and nutrition.
Details can be found here.
Did you miss the 11th Annual Sustainability Summit? You can watch the Summit online, including Saru Jayaraman’s keynote speech, or view the posters from the poster session, which showcased innovative campus sustainability projects.
Please join us in celebrating UC Berkeley’s Earth Week 2014 by participating in the many incredible events that will be held from Monday, April 21st- Sunday, April 27th, 2014. You can download the print calendar of events here and the Earth Week logo here. Join the Earth Week Facebook Event here.
- Human Oil Spill, 12pm-1pm, Dwinelle Plaza
- Silent protest, Wear all black clothing
- Sponsored by Students Against Fracking and Fossil Free Cal
- History of Earth Day! 4pm-6pm, 243 Dwinelle
- Join the Student Environmental Activism DeCal in their discussion about the history of Earth Day, its significance, and how it has evolved.
- BZZZZZ: Bees and the Global Food System, 4pm-6pm, 250 Dwinelle Hall
- Join the Berkeley Student Food Collective’s Decal, Berkeley in the Global Food System, to hear Berkeley scholar Hillary Sardinas speak about her research on native bee populations and their crucial importance to sustainable food.
- Film Screening: Symphony of the Soils, 6-9pm, 159 Mulford Hall (CANCELLED EVENT)
- Join film producer Deborah Garcia and narrator/ adviser Professor Ignacio Chapela, within the College of Natural Resources, for a wonderful evening filled with music, art, laughter, and a new found beauty for the Earths’ topmost layer–the soil– and its integral role within the Earth ecosystem. Following the film will be a Q&A with Professor Chapela and Producer Deborah Garcia. View Trailer Here
- Tickets: $10, seating is limited.
- Ticketing: Get tickets here!
- All proceeds go to the event host, the student group for the Conservation & Resource Studies major within the College of Natural Resources.
- Film Screening: Wall-E, 7pm-10pm, Unit 1 All Purpose Room
- Sponsored by Residential Sustainability Program (RSP)
4/22 Tuesday EARTH DAY
- Refills Not Landfills, 8am-12pm, Multiple Locations
- Celebrate Earth Day with Refills Not Landfills on April 22nd by Bringing in a Reusable Mug!
- Free Speech Movement Cafe, FIFO Café, Café Zeb and all Yali’s locations are providing a free small coffee refill when you bring your reusable mug from 8:00 AM until noon.
- Cal Dining participating locations (Common Grounds, Pat Brown’s, The Den (at Crossroads), Qualcomm, Ramona’s, and Golden Bear Café are providing $1 reusable mug refills all week from April 21st to April 25th!
- Special Bonus: Campus Recycling and Refuse in partnership with the Graduate Student Assembly will be holding a Free Reusable Mug Giveaway outside Kroeber Fountain from 8 AM until Noon to the first 100 people pledging to bring their mug to campus as well special prizes for those who enter our raffle, so stop by our tables!
- Environmental Org Tabling and Activity Day, 9am-3pm, Upper Sproul
- Students Against Fracking (SAF)
- Student Organic Garden Association
- EthiCAL Apparel
- STeam: STOP
- STeam: Water Conservation + STeam Energy
- Berkeley Student Food Collective
- Pallud Lab
- Campus Recycling and Refuse Services
- Strawberry Creek Collective
- PowerSave Campus
- Grow the Revolution
- CED, Landscape Architecture
- myPower & Office of Sustainability
- Office of Sustainability
- CALPIRG Million Clean Cars
- Fossil Free Cal
- Cal Dining Sustainability Team
- Greening the Greeks
- Ecology Center
- 12pm-1pm Musical Performances, Speeches, and March
- Welcome to Earth Day!
- 12:10-12:25 Cal Band
- Sustainable John Rap
- Meredith Jacobson and Jashvina Devadoss
- Nolan Pack
- March of Positive Environmental Messages
- Teach-In’s on Sproul Steps
- 11:30am-12pm Students Against Fracking
- 1pm-1:30pm Student Organic Garden Association
- 2pm-2:30pm Strawberry Creek Collective
- 2:30-3:00pm Grow the Revolution
- RSP tabling, 5pm-7pm, Crossroads Dining Commons
- Prizes will be awarded for completing a sustainability-themed interactive activity
- Film Screening: Blue Gold, 7pm-10pm, 234 Dwinelle
- Discussion & Free Cheeseboard
- Sponsored by STeam
- BOAA and Cal Dining are partnering to bring you vegan, sustainable food options!
- Crossroads will be featuring a vegetable quinoa salad at crossroads for lunch and dinner, Foothill will be featuring black bean enchiladas for dinner, and Clark Kerr will be featuring fried tofu with peanut sauce.
- Vertical Gardening Workshop, 9am-11am, Student Organic Garden, Walnut St. & Virginia St.
- Low-tech agroecology gardening system practiced in Nairobi, Kenya
- Sponsored by the Pallud Lab and Student Organic Gardening Association (SOGA)
- Extended Open Hours in the Student Organic Garden
- The garden will stay open after the Vertical Gardening Workshop, so bring your lunch and relax under the fruit trees with us!
- 11th Annual CACS Sustainability Summit, 2:30pm-5pm, Wurster Hall Lobby and Auditorium 160
- 2:30-3:30 pm Poster Session; food and drink
- 3:30-4:00 pm Video welcome by Chancellor Dirks; Awards, and Recognitions by Dean Wolch
- 4:00-5:00 pm Keynote Speaker: “Food Justice” with Saru Jayaraman
- Saru Jayaraman is a Berkeley Food Institute Visiting Scholar and the co-founder and co-director of Restaurant Opportunities Centers United. She was recently named one of CNN’s 10 Visionary Women, who noted that she “has spent her career fighting for service workers to get a fair wage in a respectful, safe environment”.
- Sponsored by the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability
- Residence Hall “Earth Hour”, 7PM-8PM, Unit 3 Courtyard
- Sponsored by RSP and Global Environmental Theme House (GETH)
- STeam Energy Town Hall, 7pm-8:30pm, 174 Barrows Hall
- Curious about renewable sources of energy? Interested in having your thoughts and ideas heard? STeam Energy will be hosting the first ever ENERGY TOWN HALL, and all are welcome! Come join forces with other passionate voices at Cal. Together, we can move towards a more sustainable campus! Food and refreshments provided.
- sponsored by STeam’s Energy group
- SOGA Compost Tea Workshop! 11am-1pm, Student Organic Garden, Walnut St. & Virginia St. (CANCELLED EVENT)
- Join SOGA & GETH for a sunny morning workshop on the ins and outs of compost tea!
- Earth Day/Nature Inspired Writing Workshop, 5:30pm-7:00pm, Student Organic Garden
- Earth themed poetry writing workshop
- Sponsored by SOGA
- Film Screening: Do the Math, 7-9pm, 102 Wurster
- Sponsored by Fossil Free Cal
- Solar Industry Workshop,7-9 PM, Skydeck Berkeley
- The Student Environmental Resource Center (SERC), has teamed up with GRID Alternatives to provide a fun night of learning about the financial and technical aspects of the solar industry.
- We will have speakers, fun activities, free t-shirts, as well as personal testimonies from the first ever Bay Area Solar Spring Break Panel Installation for low-income families! You will have the opportunity to sign up for next year’s Solar Spring Break!
- Connor English – Sun Light and Power – Estimator
- Koralie Hill – Sunlight and Power – PV General Superintendent – PV professional for ten years with experience teaching, installing, designing, testing, and researching solar electric systems. Continued education in renewable energy and appropriate technology
- Travis Richardson – Design and Engineering Specialist – Sungevity – Before becoming a designer at Sungevity, my experience includes working as an installer for 3 other solar companies ranging from small to large while I also devoted lots of time to personal study. In the second half of 2009 I taught 8 courses to prep students for the NABCEP Entry Level Certificate of Knowledge exam. I’ve also drafted and installed residential solar thermal.
- Angie Shen, Qusai Johar, Nikhil Gargeya, Kristen Chen, Natalie Zhang, Sam Klein, and Angela Shen – UC Berkeley’s first Solar Spring Break team
- GRID Alternatives Website: www.gridalternatives.org
- Sponsored by Student Environmental Resource Center (SERC)
- (THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO FRIDAY MAY 2ND, SAME TIME) California Grassland Restoration Event1:00pm-3:30pm, Grinnell Natural Area on the west side of campus, southwest of Eucalyptus Grove, bordering Frank Schlessinger Way (there will be signs).
- All are welcome to join in the planting of native California grasses from the coastal prairie and valley grassland plant communities as part of our TGIF mini-grant project, following an introductory discussion about changes to the campus land over the past 300yrs.
- Sponsored by the Strawberry Creek Restoration DeCal and the Strawberry Creek Collective
- BBQ/Open Sidewalk Event, 2-4pm, On Derby St, a half a block west of Sacramento St.
- On the Pallud Lab’s field bioremediation research site
- Sponsored by Pallud Lab
- Green Career Networking Event, 4pm-6pm, Blue and Gold Room at the Career Center
“Do you care about the environment? Would you like to interact with professionals who share your thoughts and find out how they guide society to respond to the various environmental problems we have? Your opportunity is here! PowerSave Campus, SERC, and the Career Center invite you to the 2nd Green Speed Networking Event where students have the chance to interact with professionals in the environmental field. There will be a broad range of professionals who work in energy, food waste, environmental health, community gardens, and more! You can also get your headshot taken for your LinkedIn profile! Please remember that the dress code is business casual. Sustainable refreshments will be provided by the Berkeley Student Food Collective!Come join us! RSVP on Callisto by April 21st. An introduction guide of the employers participating will be listed soon.”
- Food catered by Berkeley Student Food Collective
- Sponsored by PowerSave Campus and SERC
- Mixed Greens, 5pm-6:30pm, location changed to Unit 2 APR room
- sponsored by the ASUC Office of Sustainability
- Berkeley Student Food Collective Teach-In & Catered Dinner, 6:30pm, 2440 Bancroft Way
- Dinner & Discussion, entry fee <$10
- 20 Person Maximum
- Bayview Hunters Point People’s Earth Day Walk for Environmental Justice, 10:30am at MLK Jr Park, San Francisco
- http://bit.ly/1f4oFYf (Sign up here)
- Sponsored by Greenaction and ASUC Office of Sustainability
- UC Green Day with Cal Rotaract, 8am, meet at Dwinelle Plaza
- Come join UC Green Day 2014, hosted by Cal Rotaract’s Local Committee! You’ll be able to volunteer at 1 of 4 locations and spend your lovely Saturday morning outdoors. Food will be provided in the morning and throughout the day. Grab a group of friends, sign-up for a site, bring your environmentally-friendly water bottles, bring that helping spirit, and have fun making a difference in our community.
- Meet 8:00AM sharp at Dwinelle Plaza! Breakfast will be served, and we’ll separate into volunteer sites at 8:30.
- Please sign up for volunteer sites at our Eventbrite page: http://ucgreenday2014.eventbrite.com
- Community Farm Day, 11:00AM-3:00PM, North Side of Gill Tract
- Sponsored by SOGA and Grow the Revolution (For on-campus groups)
- Open Hours at the Student Organic Garden, 10am-2pm
- Come hang out in the sun and get your hands in the dirt!
- Hills to Bay Strawberry Creek Watershed Walk! 10am at the Strawberry Canyon fire trail parking lot entrance.
- Join us we accompany Strawberry Creek on its above and below-ground journey from the Berkeley Hills to the SF Bay. Along the walk we will talk about a variety of topics including the historical ecology of the watershed, campus history related to the creek, effects of urbanization on creeks, sustainable water infrastructure, Strawberry Creek ecology, and ongoing creek restoration and education efforts. Our journey will pass through Strawberry Canyon, UCB’s main campus, downtown Berkeley, West Berkeley’s Strawberry Creek Park, and end at the mouth of Strawberry Creek in Eastshore State Park by the Berkeley Marina.
- Sponsored by the Strawberry Creek Collective
- EcoHouse Tour: Climate Action and Adaptation, 11am – 1pm, EcoHouse, 1305 Hopkins Street, Berkeley CA 94702
- THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL and no longer taking registrations. The Ecology Center periodically offers these tours. Check their website for future tour dates.
- Sponsored by Greening the Greeks and the Ecology Center
Special thanks to: ASUC Office of Sustainability, ASUC Sustainability Team (STeam), Berkeley Organization for Animal Advocacy (BOAA), Berkeley Student Food Collective, Building Sustainability at Cal, Cal Dining Sustainability Team, CalPIRG, College of Environmental Design- Landscape Architecture Conservation & Resource Studies Student Organization (CRSSO), EthiCAL, Fossil Free Cal, Global Environmental Theme House (GETH), Greening the Greeks, Grow the Revolution, the Pallud Lab, PowerSave Campus, Residential Sustainability Program (RSP), ReUSE, Strawberry Creek Collective, Student Organic Gardening Association (SOGA), Students Against Fracking, Wildlife Society, ASUC Auxiliary Marketing, ASUC Auxiliary Event Services, Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Career Center, Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability, myPower, Office of Sustainability, Student Environmental Resource Center (SERC), and The Green Initiative Fund.
You can also join fellow Berkeley students related events before and after Earth Week:
- Film Screening: Gasland, 7-9pm, 156 Dwinelle
- Sponsored by Students Against Fracking
- FMST – Celebrating 30 Years of the Brazilian Landless Worker’s Movement, 7:00 pm, La Peña Cultural Center, 3105 Shattuck Ave.
- The Story of solidariTEA: A Discussion on Founding Local Sustainable Businesses, 5pm-7pm, Dwinelle 229
- solidariTEA is a local, organic bottled iced tea business with its roots–and heart–set deep in the Bay. 10 cents from each bottle of tea goes into grants that support local justice and art groups.
- Come join the founders Trey (also a Cal student!) and Caroline on Wednesday April 30th at 5pm to learn more about solidariTEA’s story, strategy, and community resilience roots.
- This workshop is not just for business students, but also for any organizers, activists, or folks who really just appreciate tea. Please bring your questions, too! While the first half of the evening will be a presentation and tea-tasting, the second half is entirely open for your questions & stories. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Learn more about solidariTEA at www.solidaritea.com